Violin is a very popular instrument and is recognized all over the world for its versatility. It is generally associated with classical music but it can be an excellent combination for rock and country music as well. It is truly a limit less instrument. If you are planning to take violin lessons then here is a brief history and some fun facts about the violin which can help you understand the instrument more.
The violin shot to fame in the 16th and 17th centuries. Andrea Amati and Antonio Stradivari are recognised for bringing fame and popularity for this magnificent instrument. The modern violin that we see and play today was first formed in Italy in the 16th century. The violin’s development is rooted in other instruments like the two-stringed rabab and pear-shaped lira. Features of these instruments can still be seen in the modern violin. The violin gained importance in music when composers like Claudio Monteverdi included the instrument into their compositions in the 17th centuries, since the musicians of that era focused on string instruments.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE VIOLIN
Violin is a difficult yet intriguing instrument, which is why it has a lot of interesting facts about itself. Let’s discuss some.
- It seems like violin is an instrument which you play by just sitting so it wouldn’t be exhausting. Well that is not true at all, in fact playing violin for an hour can help you burn 170 calories. So, it helps you keep your body in shape.
- One of the most expensive violins was in 1714 by Giuseppe Guarneri which was valued at a whooping price of $18 million.
- The largest playable violin in the whole wide world is 5.22 meters wide and 4.27 meters tall. It was made in Germany and it took 15 violin makers to make this humongous violin. The tiniest violin is the world is just 37 millimetres in size.
- Playing a violin not only makes you a versatile musician, it also helps in your cognitive development.
- Violins bows are made by different materials, like the horse hair or nylon. It is generally made of 150-200 hairs.
- Maple and spruce are excellent woods to make violin. So, if you want to buy a violin make sure you check which wood is it made from.
- Making a violin is as difficult as playing it. Seventy pieces of wood has to be put together to create the modern violin, which is a very complicated task.
These were some facts about the violin which gives us an insight into the history and characteristics of the instrument.
It seems like a difficult task to play this instrument, but with hard work and dedication you can definitely do it. Just make sure you get quality violin lessons they play a vital role in the development of your skills. So, if you want to master the instrument then you should book yourself a violin lesson now!